Saturday, July 25, 2009

My first subway ride!

This morning (Saturday) was our Waseda orientation/campus tour. The campus is really big and beautiful, and there's even a lovely little park, all of which is pretty impressive considering we're in the middle of Tokyo. This afternoon/evening Kevin, Ethan 1 (the two guys I hang out with most, since we're all into geeky stuff), Liz, Carrie, and I took the subway for the first time down to Ginza which is a big shopping area full of department stores. The tokyo metro system looks really intimidating on a map, but when you're actually there and have your route planned out it's actually no problem at all (it also helps that everything is in both Japanese and English). Ginza was cool and shiny, but there wasn't much there that interested me beyond the pastry/sweet shops (they're all over Ginza, but I couldn't really justify buying anything. Maybe next time...) and the huge toy store we went to.

I'm pretty confident about the transit system now, which is good, since tomorrow Kevin, Ethan 1, and I are going to the Gundam statue in Odiaba, which requires 3 subway lines, then checking out Shinjuku station on the way home.

Should be a good way to end the weekend before starting my week of 7 hours of class every day.

1 comment: